Monday, February 27

World Cup Marathon #1- Sabie

The MTN Marathon in Sabie this weekend acted as the first UCI World Cup Marathon of 2012. Sabie has always one of my favourite places in South Africa. A beautiful small town located at the bottom of Long Tom Pass in the Lowveld. One just has to roam the streets or walk alongside the river to feel the peacefulness and friendliness of the town. The basin-like town is surrounded by hectars of never-ending forests that look as if they reach to heaven itself. This (of course), would be where the riders would spend the bulk of their time while racing the marathon. The prospect was somewhat daunting, but nonetheless exciting. I had spent the month of December riding the endless hilly roads in the area. But now it was time for a true mountain biking experience.. I couldn't wait.

One always seems to overlook and downplay the route profile, when seen on paper. Physically going out there and conquering those mountains, is a different story altogether. Ask anyone who completed the marathon at Sabie..

A few countries were represented on the Womens startline. It was great to have some internationals in South Africa raising the standard of competition, and in turn, raising the athletes' game. The gun exploded with a bang, and a very animated Max Cluer sent us off with great enthusiasm. Unfortunately, the hype and buzz of the startline madness was short lived, as Ariane Kleinhans (Contego) began to dish out the pain on the base of the long climb. A string of riders attempted to hold her pace, one of these being myself. I am a cross country racer at heart, so it is in my blood to chase hard in the beginning, in the attempt to not let the leader disappear out of sight. My attempt was (almost) successful:) Reaching the summit of the climb 30kms into the race, I crossed the KOM line in second place with others (Ischen Stopforth and Yolande Speedy) hot on my tail! I also knew at this point, that it was going to be a battle to the finish line for  me. My legs had felt "jelly-like" the entire day, but I was trying to keep mentally strong. Looking back, i think there is value in being made  to suffer like this- it teaches you the meaning of the Afrikanns word "vasbyt".  Basically- grind your teeth, dig deep into the pain barrier and move onwards.

I was beginning to feel the effects of my efforts in the first part of the race, and in turn was passed by Teresa (Biogen) who rode with extreme determination on the day. The third water point/tech zone came 47kms in, where i was welcomed with full bottles, splashes of water and chain lube by Philip Vosloo and family. My ever- emptying tank was filled up by the encouragement and support I received there. Legs burning, but motivation existing, I embraced the last 30kms.

The last 10kms was where the I lost the race. The heat was unbearable and shivers were running through my body. I was passed by Ischen Stopforth and Yolande Speedy, who came charging from behind. Their age and experience outdid my lack thereof. However, I refused to give up. One million rocks, 2100m of climbing and 2 falls later, I crossed the finish line in 5th place. At 20 years old, I was happy with my result in this challenging marathon. What made me even happier though, was the ice cold coke I sat and enjoyed at the end of a rough day on the bike! Pure heaven:)


Managed to find a smile:) (Possibly after the coke)

South Africa can be proud of the standard of marathon racing in the country (men and women), with many South Africans finishing in the top placings. What a fantastic way to boast some of the best and most challenging racing terrain our country has to offer. Kevin Evans (360 Life) rode an unbelievable race to win his first World Cup, minutes ahead of second place. We just have to do something about the swiss taking the Womens victory! Maybe in the near future:) Ariane- you are so strong! Well done to all who overcame the pain and finished the race. A serious accomplishment.

Can we have another World Cup Marathon in South Africa in 2013 please..


The Senior category podium. (Ariane Kleinhans, Candice Neethling and Sam Saunders)

Next, my focus is on the Cross Country World Cup in Pietermaritzburg. This will no doubt present me with my next lot of challenges to overcome. The track is looking world class! Spectators are going to love the entertainment too.

Keep following to hear of my adventures on my BMC..