Monday, February 20

Momentum Health XCO- Giba Gorge

In contrast to the hot, dry dusty conditions we experienced last week in Durbanville, Saturdays race took place in muddy, damp, cool conditions. The light drizzle and extreme humidity posed a challenge to all riders. Giba Gorge, situated in KZN, close to Hillcrest is a mountain biking park that is a network of trails scattered across the mountainside. Any mountain bikers dream! This weekend, the racing was confined to a 5km course, designed and built by Nick Floros. Clover leaf in shape, the course had the riders looping back to the start every 5-10 minutes, making for maximum spectator value. This, combined with the muddy conditions and Max Cluers commentating, had the spectators buzzing with excitement for the duration of the event.



After some entertaining interviews on the start line to calm the nerves, (or hype them up), we were off to a blistering start. The moment that gun went off, i could feel the adrenaline rushing through my body, as we sprinted up the road in pursuit of the prime spot in the singletrack. I could see the red rocket of Ashleigh Parker-Moffatt (BMC) in the corner of my eye, which resulted in me digging slightly deeper in the attempt to grab that front spot. Content with my start and how my legs were feeling, i lead the group through the first half of the course. Considering the speed at which we were handling those slippery corners and rocky sections, it surprises me that I was able to stay upright. Amazing what adrenaline can do!

The end of the first lap saw Yolande Speedy (USN), myself and Sam Saunders (Valencia) sticking to one another like glue. I could feel that today was going to be a good one for me. I was feeling fresh, and ready to dish out some pain. (Or to handle the pain being dished out). Last weekends misfortunes had me even more inspired to race the race I had hoped for, missing no opportunities. The lead switched a few times in the first two laps between myself and Speedy, both in an attempt to be the one  calling the shots up front. I soon realised that as long as i stuck close enough behind her, i would in turn be applying pressure from behind, and would be able to gauge where her strengths and weaknesses lie, hopefully being able to use the weaknesses against her in the later laps. It was interesting for me to watch the 29er and how it handled different aspects of the course. My 26inch BMC hardtail was definitely the pick of the day, as it handled those tight switchbacks with style and precision.



And there I sat, pressure building, humidity rising and teeth grinding for 5 laps. The race was longer than usual for me. Being an under 23 racing in the pro-elite category, i knew that Yolande had the experience and patience to play the game smartly, whereas I was more anxious and impulsive. This comes with just having turned 20, but i wasn't going to let that play with my mind. What doesnt kill you makes you stronger. The next few laps had the spectators screaming for us as we flew past. I remember wishing for more spectators on the long and lonely climbs mid-way through the lap. This is where the real work was being done, and the pain increased exponentially with each lap. The spectators are what keep me motivated when Im down to nothing. They truly are in support of you, and to see them going absolutely crazy as you pass by, does wonders at filling up the emptying tank! The pace was relentless, and I knew that the final lap would be the decider...

Yolandes experience and knowledge was in her favour as she rode clear of me on the last lap, after i had stumbled up one of the muddy banks. I crossed the finish line seconds behind her after an epic, muddy battle. This marked the end of one of the most exciting races of my career, as well as the most enjoyable one. I had the time of my life out there. This is what I love to do, and a race of this nature grows my passion for what I do. It also cultivates that fighting spirit within me, which plays a crucial role in this type of racing. Im excited for what lies in store! Bring on the next few weeks...


Looking somewhat fatigued, I explained the happenings to an energised Max Cluer.



Yolande Speedy and myself trying to rationally discuss what just happened..


What a successful event. KZN MTB has really stepped XC racing up a notch! You are doing a brilliant job and I look forward to the future of our sport in your capable hands. Prize-giving saw the top 10 women and top 15 men being rewarded for their efforts. Now that is what Im talking about! Well done soldiers. You fought a good battle!


Hey Yolande, what was in that mysteriously huge box??
3 BMC Women (Myself, Ashleigh and Simone Vosloo) in the top 10! :)


Next week Im off to the lowveld for some marathon action in Sabie. Come watch if you are in the area, otherwise, just keep reading.

CN