Wednesday, February 1
2012 is here! Its time to get fired up for some exciting racing. Its that time of the year when everyone is keen to test the legs after a racing "drought"- the month of December. I had many feelings going into my first MTB race of 2012- which happened to be the MTN Marathon in Barberton. There was the odd doubt in my mind, but the confidence that accompanied a new beginning overwhelmed and overcame these doubts. Also, having received a gold medal at KZN Road Championships the weekend before was fuel to my quiet confidence. Two words that most accurately describe this lowveld town- HEAT and HILLS! This is precisely what you experience while standing on the start line in a giant basin surrounded by monstrous mountains. Its like peering through your hands while watching a scary movie- you don't want to see it, but at the same time, you want the full experience. Thats what I came here for. All or nothing! Embrace those mountains guns blazing..

My preparation in the few days preceding the race had been ideal! The crew at Misty Valley Lodge (a peaceful 4 star lodge located an hour from Barberton), headed by Philip Vosloo had treated me like royalty! Nothing was ever a problem- these people know no limits. I am so grateful for their unselfish efforts and never ending energy, as this enabled me to focus on the task at hand. 

The task- ride that BMC beast up and over the mountains, crossing 14 rivers along the way as quickly as you possibly can. (Simple- right?) Hmmm;) Coming from a Cross Country backround, I always enjoy the comparitively "gentle" start in the marathon distance. After a neutral zone of about 6km, the climb to the highest point began with Ariane Kleinhans (Team Contego) taking the lead up front- pedaling at an insane intensity! Taking a chance, I quickly stuck to her back wheel in an attempt to prevent her from simply riding away from the rest of us. I was impressed with the lightness and responsiveness of my new BMC TE01, and was so thankful i went with the hardtail option for this racing terrain. After a few painful minutes of ascending, i decided to drop back and tackle this climb on my own- creating my own rhythm and pace, with the goal of not letting Ariane disappear into the distance. 

The journey to the summit was an epic one! "Sense of humour loss" is a genuine and common diagnosis on the way to the top. One would assume that the race for "king of the mountains" would take place at the summit of a climb- apparently not in Barberton. This being one of the numerous ways in which you could quickly lose your sense of humour. With lactic acid pumping through my legs and the sun blazing onto my arms, I peered down at my Garmin when I came over the horizon- It had been 35kms since the base of the climb. And it was all downhill from there.. literally.. and this was a good thing!

Just incase you hadn't lost your sense if humour on the way up- the way down was comprised of 14 river crossings, some of which you are almost completely immersed in water. At this stage i had accepted that I probably wasnt going to catch that Swiss bolt, but my best chance is to stay away from the chasing women, namely Ischen Stopforth (Bizhub) and Karien van Jaarsveld (MTN Qhubeka). 
My attempt was successful and I was delighted to cross the finish line in second place behind Ariane- who rode an incredible race! 

Being the first time racing my BMC, this was a mere taste of the sheer enjoyment I am going to experience the rest of the season. I am excited and blessed to have the privilege to be part of this team and to race such a high quality bicycle! 

Next.. Im off to Cape town for some training before EP Herald and the first XC National in Cape Town. Keep reading for updates:)