Tuesday, March 13

Momentum Health XCO Internationals #3

The last two weeks have been a buzz of excitement. Judging by the number of complaints I have received after somewhat slacking with my updates, it is evident that people enjoy my post race reflections. So this is my apology. But in the same breath- thanks for complaining. It made me smile:)

This past weekend acted as the "dress rehearsal" for the World Cup taking place this coming weekend. (17/18 March) For many, having survived the European winter, this was the first race of the season. A great time to flush out all the cobwebs and get the legs firing again. I was grateful to KZNMTB for having given us South Africans the opportunity to get some beneficial racing experience under the belt so early in the season. You are doing amazing things for our sport!

We stood on the start line on a typically sunny South African morning. The conditions were perfect for some fast, furious racing. The pro-elite womens category (U23 and Elite) had one start time. After being told that we were in for 5 laps, I knew this was going to be a battle. However, that didnt stop me from going out guns blazing. I seem to be making a habit of this! Its good to experiment though- especially when presented with a challenge larger than you are accustomed to. Go as hard as you can for as long as you can, and then try hold out for the rest of the way. This way, i know exactly where the point is where I start battling to turn the pedals with the same power. The start was absolute chaos (as expected), as everyone scrambled to be in the front up the first singletrack switchback climb. There was a bottleneck of riders on the first sharp corner entering the climb. Lesson learnt- be in the front up to this point, or if not, quickly make a plan to be there. Otherwise the time you lose is completely unnecessary, and waste energy trying to make it up.

After much stumbling and crashing, I found my rhythm going into the second lap. After the 280m of vertical ascent in one lap, you wonder if you will ever be able to repeat that another 4 times! The course is unforgiving, as it requires 100% concentration ALL THE TIME. Those logs have my heart rate sky rocketing every time I approach them! To those of you wanting to experience the thrills and spills of racing this weekend- I recommend you position yourself in the amphitheatre, where all the action takes place. For the riders, this section is beautifully placed, as it begins at the top of a long climb, and you are able to let go and have some fun. The trick is to make it through in one piece, still mounted on your bike. Nick has done an excellent job at making this course one of the most challenging on the World Cup circuit. Come check it out on Saturday.

I felt strong until the second half of the 4th lap, where the brutality of the course started to take its toll on me. However, knew I only had to make it to the finish line. Those last few climbs were a slog, and I was finding it difficult to have a focussed approach through those technical sections. This is when the support and encouragement of the spectators mean the most. It literally got me through. Having my mother running behind me shouting at the top of her lungs made me start to wonder whether I was going fast enough. Thanks for the boost mom. I cant wait to experience the excitement and support of the spectators in the World Cup. Keep it going guys! It does amazing things for us:)

I get the feeling that everyone battled equally on that last lap, as I wasnt passed by anyone, nor did I do any overtaking. To finish in 15th place in a field made up of top international elite riders gave me a lot of motivation going into the World Cup- where I will compete in my category. (U23) This test run taught me many beneficial lessons that will definitely be put to good use next week. I will also be racing my BMC TE01 and not the fourstroke, as I believe this is predominantly a climbing course, where my hardtail will shine.

Our community of cyclists has grown over the past weeks. as more and more international riders arrive in South Africa. Its great to have you all. I wish you all the best for your races, and I hope you experience the friendliness and hospitality of our beautiful country:)

Please come support on Saturday at Cascades. Racing takes place all day. My race goes off at 4:30. See you there:)