Tuesday, March 12

Africa Champs- A Visual Progression through my Race


Standing on the start line, engine firing. I think I play with my hair when Im nervous- not as much about the race as about the storm approaching from behind. I just know what I'm in for!

\\
 Sprinting out of the saddle. Everybody wants to be in front for the first piece of singletrack. Its a guns-blazing, "all out" sprint. Yet, I know I have to ride within myself and treat my legs with care if I want to feature in this battle.


One of the climbs on the course. I had just come past the feed zone where I received various forms of encouragement. (basically people shouting/clapping in your face). I love it! It gives me a motivation and energy that I cant seem to replicate myself. 


After the rain stops, the course becomes treacherous! Its like riding through peanut butter. You have to learn the skill of sliding using your back (and not front) break. After the first few falls, you learn quite quickly. I am still a work in progress. I need to master this by World Championships in late August.




Racing through the trees. Makes for beautiful photography, but requires concentration to avoid your handlebar making contact with a trunk. (Especially when you are sliding sideways in the peanut butter)


Smiles all round. Its always a laugh to catch up with Max post race. I truly find joy in racing my bicycle. And I love to chat about my experiences in the heat of the moment.




The U23 Womens podium. Myself, Mariske Strauss (South Africa) and Vera Adrian (Namibia).
Mariske had a very impressive ride and deserves the title. 


My FAVOURITE. Myself, Beani Thies and Caitlin Mills after the Eliminator. Watch out for these two! Future superstars!

As with every race, there are lessons to take and lessons to leave from Africa Champs. I can always smile as I look back, because I know its moulding me into the athlete and the human being I dream to be. 

Thanks to BMC as well as Oakley and Redbull for being incredibly supportive sponsors, and for taking this journey with me.

Next stop, EUROPE- for some testing, racing, and lessons to learn.

Keep riding :)