Wednesday, June 13

London here I come...

Being chosen to represent South Africa at the London 2012 Olympics is an incredible honour. I have experienced this first hand over the past few days. My phone has been a continuous chain of sms', emails and tweets. Never have i felt so uplifted in support and encouragement as i do now. The response i have received from people has been overwhelming- each one in their own unique way. It makes me smile as i think of the important role all these people have played in my life so far, and how they have shaped and moulded me into what I am today. I realize that I can do nothing alone. For me there is no greater comfort than approaching such a prestigious event with a massive team of people who are 100% behind me, or more appropriately, beside me.

Among the crazy mixed emotions, my thoughts lead me into thinking about what it actually means to me as a person/athlete to have this opportunity to compete in the Olympic Games.

Any athlete would tell you that taking part in the Olympics is a lifelong dream come true.. The pinnacle of success in their career. But people know that already, they have heard it before.  For me, its so much more than simply that. It broadens ones horizons and perspectives in ways everyday life never would.

For me, it gives me the chance to involve people in following my dreams. Mountain biking is a selfish and sometimes lonely sport. But to be able to bring it "close to home" for more people is an opportunity to share my joy in competing and what i have learnt with thousands. Being chosen for the Olympics allows me to involve a broader spectrum of people and their skills/ideas in trying to acheive my dreams. Im just the athlete- a small branch of this extensive tree.

Many would believe that winning is the most important thing in sports. Actually, it is the least important. Let me explain before you get upset.
If we consider the Womens XC Mountain Biking race at the London 2012 Olympics.
Lets say 50 women from different countries are invited to compete. If winning was the only thing that was important, then we could say that 49 of us will be losers. This is so far from the case. First of all, if we did not all show up to compete, then there wouldn't ever be a winner. Secondly, we need to appreciate the hard work each athlete as given throughout the season to be selected as a competitor. Lastly, we cannot overlook the personal satisfaction that each woman receives reaping the rewards of a job well done. Words that spring to mind are  commitment, discipline, perserverance, dedication and desire- to mention a few. These lessons are far more important than the race itself.
Winning is merely the decoration on the cake. Preparation of the cake is what is most important.  (although we do enjoy the icing).

So i am 20 years old, my journey is only beginning. I have a lot to learn about life and racing. One thing i do know is that i truely love racing bicycles, and the joy i receive from doing this to the best if my ability is unexplainable. Thank you to SASCOC and BMC-SA (Johann Wykerd) for providing me with the means to acheive my goals. You are fundamental in this process. And to everyone who has played a role in my short career, be it coming round for coffee to chat, or dropping a supportive sms, please NEVER underestimate the value in doing so. I feel blessed beyond measure and my motivation is sky high as i embrace what lies before me on the Road To London 2012